Impatience is something many of us struggle with, especially when it comes to weight loss. Not seeing results is one of the biggest deterrents for anybody starting a new diet or signing up for a gym.
After denying yourself that morning doughnut and hitting the gym after work, you deserve to see the number on that scale drop.
But what if you don’t? In fact, what if that number is actually higher than it was before you started this whole “healthy living” routine?
This tends to be the moment most people give up, run to the pantry for a bag of Doritos, and skip a workout (or five).
To truly reach your goal weight—and maintain it—you do have to be patient. But if you need a little boost of motivation to stay on track, here are 5 easy ways you can wake up slimmer by tomorrow morning:
- Skip the yogurt: Many health experts will encourage you to eat yogurt if you want to see results. True, yogurt is rich in protein and healthy bacteria—but what else is in your yogurt? Most yogurts are so high in added sugar that they actually feed the bad bacteria in your belly. Yogurt is also high in lactose, a natural sugar in dairy than many of us have problems breaking down. This is usually why we feel bloated and gassy after consuming too much dairy.
- Take a shower before bed: If you have troubles sleeping, you probably have a tough time losing weight in general. When we don’t get enough sleep, most of us wake up feeling cranky and stressed. You’ve probably already heard that too much stress will cause your body to release more of the hormone cortisol, which also happens to be the fat-storage hormone. So, how does showering help? Rinsing off right before bed will activate your body’s natural thermostat, which can go haywire during weather changes, causing you to toss and turn all night. In part, sleep is induced during your body’s cooling down process. If it’s hot and muggy outside, a nice shower will help signal to your body that it’s finally time for bed.
- Nix the salt: Sodium will make you look bloated—that’s just a fact. If you’re a big fan of salty snacks, cutting out junk food alone will instantly make you feel slimmer. The trick is figuring out which foods you should be avoiding. Sure, chips and crackers obviously have a ton of sodium—but snack foods aren’t the only offenders. Soups, salad dressings, breads—these are all packed with sodium. If you really want to wake up feeling thinner, Chinese and Mexican foods are the biggest sodium culprits to avoid this week.
- Stop eating “energy bars”: There’s a reason these so-called “health bars” look so much like candy—it’s because they basically are! Many of them are packed with whey, which can cause major bloating in those with lactose issues. Generally, they also contain soybeans, which tend to make most people gassy and bloated. The one rule to remember is that whole foods will always be better for your health than processed foods and snacks. So, even if that energy bar is only 300 calories, your body will respond more naturally to a handful of almonds with the same amount of calories.
- Cut the dried fruit: While fruit is a great way to get the natural sugars and fiber you need in your diet, dried fruit is particularly high in fructose. For those who have troubles properly digesting fructose, this can quickly lead to unwanted gas and bloating. Instead, swap out the dried fruits for delicious fresh fruits. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are especially helpful for weight loss!
Do you have any quick weight loss tips? Tell us in the comments!
Photo Copyright © 2015 Janine/Flickr