featured img

Photo Copyright ©2016 Caters News Agency


Breastfeeding Nearly Killed This Mom's Newborn Baby Girl—TWICE


A mom in the UK nearly killed her newborn baby girl twice, just by breastfeeding her because of an extremely rare condition. Read on for the full story!


A mom in the UK has opened up about the trauma she suffered when she nearly killed her baby girl twice, just by feeding her.

36-year-old Claire Flannery still remembers the first time she watched the light go out in her daughter’s eyes.

Flannery had just given birth at home when her newborn baby girl, Florence, started turning blue and stopped breathing.

Thankfully, the quick-thinking midwives jumped right in and used a suction device to remove what they assumed was fluid in the baby girl’s lungs before rushing Florence to the hospital.

What thee doctors didn’t realize, however, was that Flannery had just started breastfeeding Florence when she had that first negative reaction.

So, while Florence was being monitored overnight at the hospital, her mother once again began breastfeeding her newborn.

For the second time in just a couple of days, Florence began turning blue and stopped breathing altogether.

It was then that doctors finally diagnosed Florence with Tracheoesophageal Fistula and Esophageal Atresia (TOF/OA), a passage that forms between the food and wind pipe, according to The Mirror.

What this means is that Flannery’s breast milk was essentially suffocating her daughter when it travelled through her tiny lungs.

"It was horrifying when I found out that breastfeeding my baby could have suffocated her,” Flannery said. "It is such a natural thing for a new mum to do and a way you really bond with your child, but little did I know it could have killed my little girl.”

Florence’s rare condition was so severe that even breathing was inflating her stomach to the point that it could have exploded.

After a very complicated surgery, which involved connecting Florence’s stomach to her esophagus, the baby girl is finally making a full recovery.

“After a five hour operation she was out of surgery and while she was covered in wires and devices I knew she was finally safe," Flannery said.

Share This Story On Facebook!

Enjoy what you read? Like below!