When Misty Lyn first saw the shocking rash spreading across her toddler’s legs, she had no idea what could have caused it.
Terrified that little Harper might have brushed up against something poisonous, she asked her husband to walk her through their baby girl’s morning.
Major red flags suddenly started popping up the moment Misty’s husband, Steve, told her that Harper had tried the popular cereal Apple Jacks for the very first time that morning.
With the new cereal in mind, Misty decided to do a little research of her own, and she was stunned by what she found.
“Had to take Harper to the doctors today. Had no clue what gave her this rash until Steve told me that she had Applejacks cereal for the first time this morning. Poor girl! Did more research on it and this is what I found…Apple Jacks has the most popular food dyes known to cause behavioral problems in children; yellow 6, blue 1, red 40 and BHT,” the mom wrote in a now viral Facebook post.
After what happened to her own daughter, Misty hoped to warn other parents about the dangers lurking inside their own pantries.
“These food dyes are now illegal in Europe, but perfectly acceptable in America. BHT is a common stabilizer in pesticides, gasoline, lubricants, and soaps, but are also found in Apple Jacks. Yellow 6 has been linked to tumors in lab mice and red 40 has been known to cause severe allergic reactions,” she continued.
Although many parents might think Misty is simply overreacting, her daughter’s painful rash is clear evidence that harmful chemicals and dyes are no laughing matter.
“Please share with every parent you know. If we don’t get the food out about these dangerous food dyes, who will?” she concluded.