Facebook
Like

While Driving Home, Mom Hears Daughter Making A 'Retching Noise' In The Back Seat. In The Rear View Mirror, She Sees Nothing But Red. That's When She Realizes What Her Daughter Is Holding

HEALTH

A Texas mom is warning other parents about the dangers of fidget spinners after her 10-year-old daughter nearly choked to death on one. Read on to learn more!

Advertisement

A worried mom in Texas is speaking out after her 10-year-old daughter nearly choked to death on a fidget spinner.

According to PEOPLE, Kelly Rose Joniec, of Houston, was driving home from a swim meet when she suddenly heard her daughter, Britton, choking in the back seat.

When she looked in the rearview mirror, Joniec was horrified to see drool coming down Britton’s mouth as her face began turning red.

Joniec immediately pulled over and quickly realized that her daughter had swallowed one of the bearings from her new fidget spinner.

“She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance,” Joniec wrote. “She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.”

Although Joniec attempted to use the Heimlich maneuver on her daughter, she was soon forced to rush Britton to a nearby urgent care center.

“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it,” Joniec wrote on Facebook after the scary ordeal was finally over.

According to PEOPLE, an X-ray revealed that one of the metal bearings from Britton’s fidget spinner was lodged into her esophagus.

“Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia,” Joniec wrote.

First marketed as a tool for stress relief, a fidget spinner is a three-pronged, palm-sized piece of plastic or metal that spins on its own central disc.

Although they have recently become popular amongst school-aged children, fidget spinners have been banned in schools across the country.

More than anything, Joniec hopes her daughter’s terrifying story can serve as a warning to other parents.

“I wish to offer some word of caution to parents,” she warned on Facebook. “Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.”

Share This Story On Facebook!

Enjoy what you read? Like below!