Authorities in Florida say a woman passed out in her car after overdosing on heroin while her two terrified children sat in the back seat.
According to Action Jax News, 28-year-old Stephanie Hammond was arrested after witnesses found her unconscious in her car on Oakleaf Plantation Parkway on December 3.
Shawn Vick later told the outlet that she was on her way home from church when she noticed a car slowly veering off the road.
Sensing something was off with the driver, Vick and a neighbor immediately pulled over to see what was going on.
“(We) threw our cars into park and literally ran and caught up to the car,” she said.
One of the witnesses at the scene quickly opened the door and stopped the car as soon as possible, immediately realizing that Hammond was passed out.
The witnesses were shocked to find that Hammond had two children, a newborn and a 2-year-old, in the car, as well.
Being unconscious at the wheel, authorities say Hammond needed immediate CPR because she wasn’t breathing at the time.
“I was still on the phone with 911 and I went to check the back seat and there was a newborn and a 2-year-old in the back seat,” Vick said.
Vick then revealed that she and another witness waited with the frightened children for several hours to make sure they were OK.
According to Action Jax News, deputies now believe that Hammond actually injected the heroin into her body while her two children were in her care. She is now facing two charges of child neglect.
After everything that happened that day, Vick said she’s glad she was able to help Hammond’s two children when they needed a comforting adult.
“It was really the sovereignty of the Lord to have us there at this time so that we could steer her off the road,” she said.
A Florida Department of Children and Families spokesperson now says Hammond’s children are being cared for by responsible relatives.
After this horrifying story was shared on Facebook, dozens of commenters called for justice to the two children Hammond put in danger.
“She made the choice to have her kids with her at this moment in time..THAT CHOICE IS ALL ON HER. She SHOUKD NOT under ANY circumstances be allowed to have those kids back until she has been clean for no less than ONE YEAR. I am so disgusted. Not because she’s an addict-that is just sad...but because SHE MADE A CHOICE TO DO THISTO HER KIDS..no amount of excuses of an addict can correct this horrid situation,” one woman commented.
“This was at the entrance to our neighborhood! My husband saw her and thought it had been an accident with injuries. This is terrifying! Her poor babies! And my goodness we have SO many children in our neighborhood! She could have rolled right over any one of them! So incredibly disturbing. But she's just one piece of an absolute epidemic of heroin addiction. My husband dispatches for JSO and handles probably a half dozen heroin overdoses a shift,” another added.